Sullivan, John

I'm taking a caricature drawing class at work and wanted to try a few of the tips out. The reference is from a boxing book I have titled The Encyclopedia of Boxing by Gilbert Odd. I flipped through the pages  that covered fighters from the 30's-50's. I came to a picture that stood out to me. So below is a take on the fighter Sullivan, John. 

"Many do not regard Sullivan as being the champion of the world, because those fights in which he won the title were fought under Prize Ring rules. However, he did box with gloves, even if it was only in his last fight in which he was knocked out in 21 rounds by James J Corbett..."

I'll try to post more of these drawings as they come. But please bare with me, I have a tough time pushing the shapes while keeping a likeness! Hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

kelly logan sullivan said...

Just an FYI John Sullivan is a relative of my. Great great grandpa I believe. A little fact many people don't know about, is he was a sparring partner for the president at the time.